Our Packaging Pledge Progress
Ellen MacArthur New Plastics Economy Report 2020 Update
Earthwise has been pioneering eco-friendly products for over 50 years and have proudly become one of New Zealand’s most trusted environmental brands and a recognised leader in sustainability*.
With sustainability at the heart of everything we do, Earthwise laundry and dishwashing products are Environmental Choice certified, New Zealand’s highest independent eco-label accreditation. This certification recognises our genuine move to reducing our environmental impact, taking into consideration the full life cycle of a product. From sourcing biodegradable and septic tank safe ingredients to using recyclable packaging from renewable sources and monitoring our energy, water and waste consumption.
With a mission to reduce the use of virgin plastic in our packaging, we pledged support to the New Zealand Plastic Packaging Declaration, committing to have 100% of our packaging recyclable, reusable or compostable by 2025 or earlier. With our packaging already recyclable, moving to bottles made from recycled plastic was the next logical step.
Since October 2018, we have proudly reused and diverted over 500 Tonnes of plastic packaging from landfills.
We’re committed to making our packaging even more sustainable through further reduce, reuse and recycle initiatives.
- We’ve moved the largest range of New Zealand Grocery household cleaning products to locally manufactured bottles made from 75% recycled plastic sourced from milk, water and juice bottles.
- Glow Lab and Earthwise Nourish personal care bottles are now also made from 100% recycled plastic (rPET and RHDPE).
- Cardboard outers and shippers for products are recyclable and made from recycled content, and Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) friendly.
- We recycle cardboard shipping packaging and pallet shrink wrap at our sites too.
- We’ve reduced the amount of plastic used in our Glow Lab amber rPET bottles by an average of 27% (approx. 37 tonnes).
- With significant investment in new factory equipment, we’ve removed the plastic bag from our laundry powder boxes. Over 12 months this equates to almost 1 million plastic bags being diverted from landfill.
- Our ingredient containers are reused for storing product multiple times or are then sold for further use. At end of life, these containers are broken down to their individual constituents and recycled.
- Other plastic ingredient containers are also recycled or reused.
These efforts have been recognised with Earthwise and Glow Lab winning Gold and Silver at the recent 2020 Australian Institute of Packaging (AIP) awards. Glow Lab won Gold for the Innovation & Design of the Year Award Health, Beauty & Wellness category, with our personal care bottles moving to 100% recycled plastic. Earthwise won Silver for the Sustainable Packaging Design Special Award, recognising our move to bottles made from at least 75% recycled plastic across our Household Cleaning and Nourish Personal Care range. #yestoprogress!
“We know we can’t tackle the plastic issue alone and are proud to be part of the ground swell of change” – Jamie Peters, Managing Director.