Our Packaging Pledge Progress
Ellen MacArthur New Plastics Economy Report 2021 Update
With sustainability at the heart of everything we do, we are always looking for ways to improve our products to make them the most eco-friendly product for our consumers that we can.
As part of supporting The New Plastics Economy Global Commitment, led by the Ellen MacArthur Foundation in collaboration with the UN Environment, Earthwise has pledged to:
- Earthwise recognises New Zealand has an interest in moving towards a more circular economy and reducing the use of virgin plastic packaging.
- Earthwise will work towards using 100% reusable, recyclable, or compostable plastic packaging by 2025 or earlier
- We will introduce at least 75% recycled plastic into our bottles across all our brands by 2025 and will go further wherever technically viable.
Since October 2018, as a business we have reused and diverted 650 tonnes of plastic from landfills since moving to using recycled plastic in our bottles. “We know we can’t tackle the plastics issues alone and are thrilled to be part of a global effort to find a solution.” Jamie Peters, Managing Director, Earthwise Group Ltd.
REDUCING USE OF UNNECESSARY PLASTIC
To date (2018-2020):
- We’ve reduced the amount of plastic used in our amber rPET bottles by an average of 27% (approx. 37 tonnes per year).
- With significant investment in new factory equipment, we have removed the plastic bag from our laundry powder boxes. Over 12 months this equates to almost 1 million plastic bags being diverted from landfill.
- Designed a fully recyclable cardboard scoop as an integral part of our Earthwise laundry box design, to meet consumer needs whilst avoiding using any additional plastic packaging.
- Our Kiwi ingenuity has been recognised globally at the 2021 World Star Packaging Awards where we won in the Household category. This award celebrated moving our locally manufactured bottles to at least 75% recycled plastic sourced from milk, water, and juice bottles!
- Moved our Oxygenated Whitener from 100% recyclable plastic tub to a fully recyclable cardboard carton (removing 6.8 tonnes of plastic from landfills each year).
- Reformulating our Earthwise Dish Tablets to enable us to remove the resealable plastic bag in the unit boxes, whilst retaining the integrity and stability of product (this initiative will remove approx. 130,000 bags/plastic 800kg from use each year).
- Reformulating our Earthwise Dishwasher Powder to enable us to move from a 100% recycled rHDPE bottle to a fully recyclable cardboard carton (this initiative will remove approx. 26.6 tonnes of plastic from use each year).
- Moved from non-recyclable pumps where possible and replaced with a recyclable caps across Glow Lab Shampoo & Conditioner 300ml and Body Wash 400ml, Handwash Refill 600ml and Nourish Handwash Refill 500ml (13 tonnes plastic removed from landfill each year). Next stage – moving to caps made from 100% recycled kerbside plastic (Polypropylene PCR).
- Exploring options for removing steel-based springs from pumps and triggers to make these 100% recyclable.
- Exploring options for tubes and componentry packaging items across Glow Lab skincare range.
CONTENT IN PACKAGING
To date (2018-2020):
- Moved the largest range of New Zealand Grocery household cleaning products to locally manufactured bottles made from 75% recycled plastic sourced from milk, water and juice bottles.
- Increased the recycled content in our Earthwise white HDPE bottles from 75% rHDPE to 100% recycled rHDPE (equating to approx. 350 tonnes since October 2018).
- Moved amber PET bottles from 100% virgin PET plastic to 100% recycled plastic (rPET) (approx. 300 tonnes since October 2018)
- Our ingredient containers are reused for storing product multiple times or are then sold for further use. At end of life, these containers are broken down to their individual constituents and recycled.
- Other plastic ingredient containers are also recycled or reused.
We believe the resolution in combating the plastic issue goes far beyond just making packaging recyclable and therefore we are committed to supporting the effort to accelerate New Zealand to a circular economy.
Whether it is a small or big change, we believe that everyone can make a difference and we are excited to work with New Zealand and international business in doing so.
Earthwise – Caring for your world